Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

growing up

Do you remember when adults would ask you as a child or teenager, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ No child ever understands that the question is really just about what career he or she wants to pursue. That question is loaded with unintended meaning – whatever career you choose, it defines you in the eyes of society.

When I was about seven years old, my father’s medical school textbooks had entranced me. The world of human physiology and anatomy was mind-blowing and enthralling to me at that age. I decided that I wanted to be a cardiovascular surgeon. I’m fairly certain most adults thought I had no idea what I was talking about. This career dream stayed with me until I was about twelve years old. By then, puberty had started and my adoration for the circulatory system was not interesting to my peers. My dreams began to change. It’s strange how often we look to the opinions of others to dictate the paths we choose in life.

I woke up this morning thinking about what I really want to do with my time, with my life. I want to have that starry-eyed hope of my seven-year-old self. I would hope we could all have that kind of outlook when it comes to life and our potential as individuals being true to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment